09-22-10 – Farktography Classic: Green 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-22-10 – Farktography Classic: Green 2

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

It’s really been a great contest, I agree with all the sentiments above.

I got my mom set up with a fark account (as what kind of mother wouldn’t vote for her son’s pictures?), and she sent me an email. She could only find two (ha! I let her know where to find the third–alls fair in love and farktography voting, imho [what? I’m sure Mopsy vote’s for the U-man’s shots when she’s not attending to more important issues].)

I digress, though. She had some comments besides, and I thought some of the other posters would like to know what a casual viewer thinks about their shots.

“- and – I confess – I voted for some others too. The one with the man and woman bent over in their garden with their rumps poking up and their heads together – Russ this is a very romantic picture. 2 people, looks like close to me and your Dad’s age – working in what is obviously a year after year garden – together Jasihn. I teared up when I looked at it. And the one with the bubble stick bucky_bacon – a day blowing bubbles with you 3 boys on the beach in Florida- it evoked such great memories – a treasure. And the night sky all aglow with green – great picture soosh, or possibly wrayvynn. And the preying mantis looking straight at the camera caradoc or clusterfrak – and the green Victorian building with the pink building past it that had the sign cilantro mint-e. My Gosh, all the really incredible people there are who are on Fark.”

*disclaimer–mom’s a sentimentalist, may not know Victorian Styling from F.L. Wright’s, and she sees things from a viewpoint of her own little world, which may not agree with the world of others.

But she’s mom, and I love her {and she’s worth 2, maybe three votes}.

And I thought ya’ll might appreciate the viewpoint of a first-time farktography viewer.

caradoc
    Participant

Thank your mom for me!

ravnostic
    Participant

NP, caradoc. And I should add that the credits were inserted by me, mom doesn’t do bold font.

🙂

orionid
    Participant

Thank your mom for me!

mind out of gutter… mind out of gutter… mind out of gutter…

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll make you a deal, shower boy; you get your mind out of the gutter, I’ll get my mind out of the same.

/kestrana would approve.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I like color contests, so I’m already biased, but wow… There’s some serious quality AND quantity this week. And while it sounds like a tired cliche at this point, I have to note that I don’t think I’ve voted for as many entries as I did this time.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

orionid and Curious, thanks much for reviewing the site. Really appreciate everyone’s time who took a look.

And Curious, don’t lose hope on your fantasy website. I’d been wanting to do mine for a long time, but it took a rare alignment of opportunity, motivation, and creative spark before it happened. I gotta tell ya, as a “code pecker” (what my engineer friend calls software developers :)), it was really pretty refreshing to create just for my own enjoyment again. Reminded me of why I got into it so many years ago.

😆 When I first brought up this page, caradoc’s mother-thanking post was the first thing I saw, so taken out of context that was my first thought, too!

Kestrana
    Participant

ZeroExponent I wanted to thank you for the little gift you gave to a newb farktographer. She and my grandpa were very close and his death was a very hard time for our family.

Curious
    Participant

And Curious, don’t lose hope on your fantasy website. I’d been wanting to do mine for a long time, but it took a rare alignment of opportunity, motivation, and creative spark before it happened. I gotta tell ya, as a “code pecker” (what my engineer friend calls software developers :)), it was really pretty refreshing to create just for my own enjoyment again. Reminded me of why I got into it so many years ago.

thanks for the encouragement but i’m not a code monkey nor do i play one on TV and haven’t stayed at a holiday inn in years.

i want a fancy site with buttons, rollovers, pretty galleries and all the bells and whistles but without the work it takes to make it happen. since that won’t happen i am awaiting the motivation you spoke of. that i only get 5 visitors a year to the site hasn’t provided that yet. 🙂

olavf
    Participant

thanks for the encouragement but i’m not a code monkey nor do i play one on TV and haven’t stayed at a holiday inn in years.

i want a fancy site with buttons, rollovers, pretty galleries and all the bells and whistles but without the work it takes to make it happen. since that won’t happen i am awaiting the motivation you spoke of. that i only get 5 visitors a year to the site hasn’t provided that yet. 🙂

I’m not a codemonkey either, but I’m having to learn pretty fast 😛

For our personal gallery I have a basic installation of gallery2, and will probably roll that into the ‘pro’ (for lack of a better word) site as well. As soon as I figure out how to integrate it all together nicely anyhow. I haven’t gotten past the ‘coming soon’ page yet =P

For a lot of the other stuff, you can find java code snippets that are available under GNU to do many cool features.

Our personal gallery2 installation is here: http://gallery.follandfamily.com and the source packages are at http://gallery.menalto.com/ (they have lots and lots of toys to plug-in that I haven’t begun to play with)

Curious
    Participant

olavf IIRC you are using your own server too. which means you are ahead of me in the coding department to start with. i have learned enough HTML to know i want a WYSIWYG setup. my user name is accurate and i believe that learning anything is good but frankly at this point in my life the easier the better. my present site was built with MSFrontPage2000 and image ready 7. it’s what i had at the time (5 years ago) and let me get enough up for a vanity site that didn’t completely suck.

mostly, like 90%, i use the site for hosting contest entries. i’ve played with some software like dream weaver and similar stuff but like any tool you need to learn how to use it. between now and the end of the year i have a lot of things to do that don’t involve computers but after that ….

what the site should be is the type of galleries you have where i can show off pictures arranged by subject. that would let me get rid of my flikr account which is used for casual picture posting because it is so simple. with my current website/hosting posting the quick casual picture isn’t either of those. and a complete gallery isn’t easy at all.

olavf
    Participant

If your host offers mysql then gallery2 is a snap to set up. You shouldn’t have to have them do more than create a database for you. Otherwise it’s not much more than uploading the files into a directory and walking through the steps – there’s one auth file you have to upload in the install process too, but that’s about it. I think others around here use Coppermine, but I haven’t played with it, so I can’t speak on that.

I’m having to re-learn html because I haven’t coded anything in years and years. Most of what I do is post things to Fark too FWIW. But, Kat and I have this crazy idea that we want to offer some of our prints for sale, so I’m having to re-learn. The server stuff is a side-hobby of mine, so it makes some sense to do it all here (plus it’s a bit cheaper, since I’m already paying for the internet connection) is all.

Curious
    Participant

If your host offers mysql then gallery2 is a snap to set up. You shouldn’t have to have them do more than create a database for you. Otherwise it’s not much more than uploading the files into a directory and walking through the steps – there’s one auth file you have to upload in the install process too, but that’s about it. I think others around here use Coppermine, but I haven’t played with it, so I can’t speak on that.

they do and even have a wizard to help set it up. i will definitely be looking into that. thanks.

olavf
    Participant

No worries, but it’s addicting. We have a test bed at home that we’ve started playing with. Crazy.

ravnostic
    Participant

Congrats to Silver Stag!! Hell–congrats to everybody–this were a loverly contest to view.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • The topic ‘09-22-10 – Farktography Classic: Green 2’ is closed to new replies.