01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

as far as Error‘s shot is concerned, I can’t see any less effort than using a camera ( perhaps tougher due to the limitations), and it is an imaging device. I say let it ride. We can’t be hardass all the time…

as far as voting this week is concerned – when I get to it on Saturday it’s gonna be really tough !! superb work there! I’d happily come 2nd to 150millionth to so many….

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m going to chime in and agree with Uranus: Error used the scanner in an artistic manner, and got a great result. I think that’s enough to qualify it as photography; he clearly did more work than just scanning a photograph or magazine page.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Short answer, Error is clearly within the spirit of Farktography is not necessarily the letter. The big problem is opening doors to someone slapping a paper doll on the scanner and calling it a photograph.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

IIRC, there’s an entire thread on here where we were debating the merits of the scanner-as-camera. We may want to re-open that thread for discussion.

The main reason I’ve allowed Error’s shot to stand is that it clearly was taken in the spirit of photography, and not in the spirit of reproducing a document. Also IIRC, I was against scanner “photography” before, but looking at Error’s image in the light of intended use has shifted my thinking some. And maybe it’s the clear intent (if present) that may help us navigate the slippery slope.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s not wholly true from my understanding. The mechanism is different but the effect is similar. Try setting a strobe up and taking a picture faster than the strobe fire some time. You’ll get a ‘partially exposed’ picture because of the way the sensor is read (in the Canons I believe it’s left-to-right if my memory serves). But I’ll agree that it could be considered a different ‘principle’, so therein lies the debate.

That effect has to do with the way the shutter opens and closes across the focal plane. It’s not an all-open/all-closed kind of thing but more like a vertical or horizontal blind that slides across (albeit quickly) the focal plane.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Here’s the thread with the original scanner discussion. It was prompted by an entry of a scanned piece of paper, and as such, it’s part of a weekly theme discussion thread and not its own thread. I could split those posts off, but they would lose some context. Discussion starts on page 4:
    http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2066&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

caradoc
    Participant

Also IIRC, I was against scanner “photography” before, but looking at Error’s image in the light of intended use has shifted my thinking some.

Take a look at this guy‘s work and see if your opinion shifts any further.

(The site appears to be down at the moment, but he uses a flatbed scanner with a lens to make a very large format camera…)

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I know I’m late to the scanner debate, but I think this photo/scan shows some artistic merit. IMHO that is what will separate it from scanning a piece of paper. This took time and effort to put together.

Each photo/scan should be judged on it’s artistic merits, as opposed to a blanket policy. I’m also certain that the voters will ultimately determine if we see more of this. I’m all for inclusiveness and expanding the pool of Farktographers.

This is just my 2 cents, I also like Oi‘s entries, as it was lateral thinking.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was told by a friend that my pictures aren’t loading unless she click’s through to the big ones–anyone else having difficulty seeing my posts?

caradoc
    Participant

I was told by a friend that my pictures aren’t loading unless she click’s through to the big ones–anyone else having difficulty seeing my posts?

Nope. The images appear in-line just fine for me.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Ack, scanner-gate! I had all but repressed the memory 😉

I still stand on the side that supports allowing scanner photos. It’s basically a slit-scan image capture with a fixed focal length, similar to that used by some cameras.

Here’s some of what we’re missing by not allowing them – http://flickriver.com/groups/scannerart/pool/interesting/

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t feel strongly about it, but I’ll throw in my two cents re: scanners.

Is it art? It can be. In the case at hand, definitely. Is it digital imaging? Yes, of course. Is it photography? No, but the line separating the two isn’t well defined as Zero pointed out.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Also IIRC, I was against scanner “photography” before, but looking at Error’s image in the light of intended use has shifted my thinking some.

(The site appears to be down at the moment, but he uses a flatbed scanner with a lens to make a very large format camera…)

Uh-oh, he gives detailed instructions on how to make your own scanner camera – http://golembewski.awardspace.com/cameras/scanner/index.html

You know what that means … by this time next week Orionid will have one up and running, with improvements to the design 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

I’m halfway there already. Goodwill has a stack of USB scanners on the Electronics shelf for about $10 each.

orionid
    Participant

Uh-oh, he gives detailed instructions on how to make your own scanner camera – http://golembewski.awardspace.com/cameras/scanner/index.html

You know what that means … by this time next week Orionid will have one up and running, with improvements to the design 🙂

Hahaha! I’d already had the idea in mind, with an old scanner in the basement yardsale box. This guy just cleared up some of the technical dilemas I’d been pondering.

FWIW, though, It’ll be a while. Too many projects on the shelf already, even photo-wise, I want to make a film slit-scan and an anamorphic pinhole before anything digital, I need to finish my pinhole/zoneplate/slit cigar-box lens, and I need to clean the lenses in the antique cameras I gave Kestrana for christmas. Then I need to convert her Landcam over to 120, and convert the J66 my uncle gave me to dual 35mm.

Then maybe I’ll make a scanner camera. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)
  • The topic ‘01-12-11 – Five is Right Out’ is closed to new replies.