07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I like the mountain better

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Me too.

ravnostic
    Participant

Is it because the b/w is too dark? On my monitor, I think the color one is too light. If I tilt the screen just so, it looks much better (this info would help me on my editing as well.) Or is it rather composition (that artsy thing is some sculpture piece that was maybe 8 feet away while we traveled some 20 mph on the subway; I’m amazed there’s any clarity in it at all.)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I dunno…artsy doesn’t always play well on Fark, and in the case of your picture, there’s not any real context to tell you it’s a shot while in a moving car, so it can kinda come across as just being randomly motion blurred like you dropped the camera or something.

ravnostic
    Participant

I dunno…artsy doesn’t always play well on Fark, and in the case of your picture, there’s not any real context to tell you it’s a shot while in a moving car, so it can kinda come across as just being randomly motion blurred like you dropped the camera or something.

Interesting. I do have a wider-view alternate, this time in color (though I kinda like the b/w version myself–but your the expert!)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol Take my opinion with a huge grain of salt. If you look at my FSM profile you’ll see as many or more crappy weeks as good weeks (and most of the time even when I have a good week, only 1 or 2 of my photos does well while the remainder tanks.

Kestrana
    Participant

I like the B&W version better than that color version but I just think the subject isn’t that compelling for this particular contest

ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, Kestrana & Else; I’ll go with the mtns. I just fear everyone and their brother will have that same shot–only better (that was a P+S camera; I didn’t even have a RAW to work with…). I’ll hope my other two do well, at least. And as always, I always keep the b-sides in mind for possible future contests.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve got mountains myself, but Kestrana’s right that a compelling subject has a better chance than a less compelling subject regardless of theme.

Kestrana
    Participant

Maybe use the black and white one for blur, I can see it fitting well there. I also have some mountains but I don’t care how many other mountains there are, I’m still entering mine!

Kestrana
    Participant

And also that’s just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. If you look in my FSM you’ll fine plenty of pictures I found compelling that the voters didn’t. orionid calls this “Fickletography” some weeks and that is a very apt description. In the end, enter the pictures you like best that showcase your eye and your growth as an artist and you want to share with this tiny corner of the world. Damn the votes; full speed ahead.

ravnostic
    Participant

Would’a been a good ‘Pan’ shot. Oh well, in the end, I am learning (grudgingly) to do as you suggest; enter what I like, damn the consequences (though I’m getting more votes, so I am getting better, at least in this venue.)

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s hard not to get hung up on the voting because we all want to do well, we all start off with pictures we think will do well and then we’re shamed and honored by the company we participate with. If I’m not doing so well in the week’s contest I tend to go out and shoot because then I can feel good about the new things coming out of my camera and not dwell on it. Looking at my Flickr I can see definitive improvement in my photography from last September when I first started; this set http://www.flickr.com/photos/kestrana/sets/72157623542251562/ is a good example (it’s ordered newest to oldest). I’ve (grudgingly 😉 ) seen improvement in you from when you started already. I even said so to orionid when I saw your airplane lights picture from All Night Long.

Curious
    Participant

Okay, Kestrana & Else; I’ll go with the mtns. I just fear everyone and their brother will have that same shot–only better (that was a P+S camera; I didn’t even have a RAW to work with…). I’ll hope my other two do well, at least. And as always, I always keep the b-sides in mind for possible future contests.

my guess is that this theme will produce a mountain of snapshots and few really technically brilliant ones.

as far as having a shot like someone else try a theme like flowers and see how that works out for you.

my best entry in terms of votes was a snapshot of an interesting subject that matched the theme well. IMO technical merit doesn’t sway the voters too much.

QueenBee
    Participant

Hey does it have to be front passenger seat or can it be from a back seat?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side’ is closed to new replies.