07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

I caught the lizard-raping hummingbird!! But the picture is too blurry to submit. I wanted to show y’all though, cuz it would have been damn awesome if it had turned out in focus lol.

I guess i just wasn’t ready for him– he’d been actually sitting still lol

caradoc
    Participant

Do you have a hummingbird feeder? It makes things a little easier…

justkat
    Participant

we keep talking about getting one, but our backyard is in a bit of a state of … upgrade, shall we say? so we’ve been sort of waffling about where to put it. Meanwhile we’ve just been trying to catch ’em at our silk tree. 😉

headfreckle
    Participant

I have a particular picture that i’d like to use…
    It’s a great shot of a bird taking off, however there’s also another bird watching from the sand…

Is it acceptable? I hate it when my posts are deleted..it makes me feel the tard.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/2435203222_68b507dcc6_b.jpg

justkat
    Participant

It’s a great shot of a bird taking off, however there’s also another bird watching from the sand…

if “they” say you can’t have the spectating bird in the picture, you could crop him out without destroying the picture. You’d have to take it right down to the beak, but it could be done. It’s a lovely picture. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is it acceptable? I hate it when my posts are deleted..it makes me feel the tard.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/2435203222_68b507dcc6_b.jpg

That shouldn’t be a problem. Lovely shot 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

I was up in Michigan’s U.P. last week. I spent a fair bit of time annoying this merganser duck. I wish, I wish, I wish that I had captured the entire duck in this pic (and she was a bit less blurry). It was zipping by and I was panning with a 300 mm lens. I really like the background blur.

You’ll see one or two of her tomorrow.

U-Man
    Participant

I have another story. I was going along in my boat and saw a lone goose in the middle of the river. I grabbed my camera and snuck up behind it. I wanted it to take off and fly but it just kept swimming away. As I got close, I noticed that it was holding its head really funny. It was all scrunched up next to its chest. I then noticed a fishing line and spinner trailing behind it in the water. Since I had pissed off several of his kinfolk earlier in the day (as well as annoyed the aforementioned merganser), I felt that it was only fair to try to help him. After several attempts, I was able to scoop him up in my fishing net. He had a two-hook rig stuck in him. One hook was stuck in the beak and the other was stuck in his left shoulder. There was no way for him to extend his neck to feed or anything. I successfully got the hooks out and released him.

Hooked and netted –

Free!

/felt really good.
    //would have done it even without the excuse of having chased some other birds. 🙂
    ///him? her? I can’t tell.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I really hate when animals are hurt by careless people’s leftovers, so the U-Man‘s story about helping that unfortunate goose really made my day. I have stories from my father about dumbass fisherman hooking him as he was skindiving in Delaware. So I can easily image how someone snagged a goose.

FutherMucker
    Participant

I love a good rescue story….Thanks for posting that, U-Man ! 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ouch!! Poor thing 🙁

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm what about kites? They’re wings, though tethered. But definitely airborne.

Thoughts?

U-Man
    Participant

Yeah, kites are OK. They’re sort of the opposite of suspended.

/Go fly a kite.
    //Doesn’t have any kite pics.

staplermofo
    Participant

I tried to fly a kite with a stapler on it so it would look like the stapler was hang gliding.
    EPIC FAIL.
    It makes me want to move somewhere so sparsely populated I can try this crap without drawing a gaggle of people close enough to stare but still out of “could you hold this while I …” range.

U-Man
    Participant

I have 4 or 5 artsy-fartsy type choices and one theme-twist funny one. Should #3 be artsy or funny?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 140 total)
  • The topic ‘07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings’ is closed to new replies.